Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"Not All Girls Are Raving Bloody Lesbians, You Know:" Getting You In The Mood For Part II Of The Terry Castle Conversation, Now Up at Historiann

Susannah York, who plays the up and coming actress and lover to the older, fading telly star Beryl Reid in Robert Aldrich's classic The Killing of Sister George (1969), delivers this fabulous set-up line as she tries to deflect her lover's (accurate) suspicion she is having an affair.

"That is a misfortune that I am perfectly well aware of," Beryl Reid replies tartly. For your viewing pleasure, I provide the whole clip from this classic lesbian psychodrama below:




You can actually get the whole film at YouTube, if you are patient enough to find all the pieces. I now command you to go to Part II of the Terry Castle discussion, "Humiliation and Longing," and if you haven't been there yet, to our partner in crime Comrade Physioprof, who delivers a review of the book that is focused on the humor of "The Professor and Other Writings."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for reminding me of one of my favorite witty comebacks!

Historiann said...

"That is a misfortune that I'm perfectly well aware of!"

Heh. Loved this clip. I've got to find this on NetFlix!